Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Opening

This is just a little blog I cooked up as a while ago I decided to start taking "notes" about the Doom WADs I play in my spare time, but there wasn't really any proper format to share them, since a personal website isn't strictly necessary and they really end up feeling more like journal entries than say reviews or whatnot. I've got a considerable backlog that I'll post through, but a few quick mentions.

I usually play Doom in ZDoom if I can (purely out of convenience). Not hating on other engines; I grew up in DOS Doom and did my adolescent Dooming in Doom 95. In the future I'll probably use stuff like PrBoom and Chocolate more, but for now, it's ZDoom. I use freelook, 'cause not being able to look up and down bothers the hell out of me, but I (contrarily) keep my view in the center of the screen unless I'm admiring the level's architecture. Wierd, I know. Otherwise, I play from pistol start (if possible) and with no saves, and on Ultra-Violence (if possible). It hasn't been easy at times, but it's been a welcome challenge. Pistol starts turn the maps from slaughterfests into distinct puzzles with their own order and particular solutions.

I won't be starting with all the official stuff, but I'll be replaying it later, 'cause I sure as hell didn't do them with no saves or purely pistol start. I replayed E1 recently and was surprised by how much harder it was when you don't start out with a full kit of weapons and ammo every map, and that's coming off of Double Impact, a fantastic E1 WAD I just finished that ran me up and down the court.

Well, I don't expect many (if any) people to find this, but if you happen to wander on by, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment